Read the full instructions before starting. Follow these steps to install your Universal Base. Allow 10-15 minutes.
As the name suggests, this base can be installed in any number of places in vehicles of all kinds and even in office and studio settings. Therefore, the instructions provided below are generic vs application specific.
The images below show installing the Universal Base 120 into a mounting surface of thin carbon fiber sheet. They are for example only.
There are two basic types of installation and which you choose depends on your mounting environment. They are:
- Using the supplied hardware if you can access the underside of the mounting surface.
- Using the included Rivnuts when you do not have have access below the mounting surface.
Step 1 - Print, place and tape the template on the mounting surface.
- Click here for the template used in this installation.
- Tape the template to your mounting surface using blue painters tape.
- If your mounting surface has any raised sections, check that your selected area will not be obstructed by the base after it sits on the included spacers.
Step 2 - Double check your desired placement is correct.
- This is a good time to check the template and base are matching and the final drill holes will be in the correct location for the included hardware.
Step 3 - Consider extra tape on the mounting surface.
- Depending on your mounting surface, you may wish to place additional blue painter's tape in the expected hole location. This can often help if the surface might allow the drill to drift or wander as it spins.
Step 4 - It is recommended to drill pilot holes.
- Consider marking all holes using a small drill bit.
- Spin the small drill bit through the paper template as shown.
- It is suggested that you drill small diameter pilot holes. Only you will know the properties of your specific mounting surface and can make the final determination. Be cautious and deliberate in this process and observe how the plastic or other material reacts to drilling.
Step 5 - Drill holes for the included 5mm fastener.
- When ready, begin to carefully drill the four holes through the mounting surface. Be slow and deliberate.
Step 6 - Dry fit the spacers, base and fasteners.
- Set out the included nylon spacers over the holes and then dry-fit the base. Check to make sure the 5mm fasteners can fit through the holes cleanly and without lateral stress that might crack the mounting surface.
Step 7 - Install the 5mm washers and nylox nut below the mounting surface.
- Turn the mounting surface so that you can install the included 5mm washers and nylox nuts.
- Tighten the hardware using the included L-wrench on the button socket fastener and turn the nut with a wrench or socket (not included).
Step 8 - Install the included Series 20 trackball.
- Install the included Series 20 trackball into the rail.
- Tighten the nut using the included L-wrench so that the trackball is tight.
Step 9 - Install your 67 Designs carbon fiber arm and holder (sold separately).
An Alternative Installation using 5mm Rivnuts
If you do not have access below the mounting surface, we suggest using the included 5mm aluminum rivnuts. The Rivnuts will allow you to drill from the top side of the mounting surface and attach the base.
- Follow Steps 1-4, above.
- STOP!!!! It is crucial YOU know exactly what is behind or below the surface and that you use a drill-stop on the drill bit to prevent damaging any equipment or wiring before the surface. It is your responsibility to fully research what is below any mounting surface.
- Instead of using a 5.5mm drill, you will be required to drill a 7.5mm hole at the positions you marked. It will typically go very quickly as the plastic of most vehicle dashes is relatively soft.
- Push in one of the four supplied Rivnut into each drilled hole. It needs to be s snug, but not over tight fit.
- You need to now compress the Rivnut into hole in the mounting surface. You can do this easily with a couple of simple tools and 5mm hardware (not included). Here is a great video on how to install Rivnuts without using a specialist tool:
- Once you have installed and compressed the Rivnut, follow the instructions from Step 6.
Please help us improve:
We want to always improve our products and make the installation and user experience better. Therefore, please email customer service and let us know what can be improved with these installation instructions. Thank you.
Please remember to DRIVE RESPONSIBLY. No TEXTING & EMAIL when vehicle in Motion! Use SIRI®