On this “episode” of 67 Designs Customer Spotlights, where we share the stories of some of our customers, we get to know David and Rebecca Kosmitis. The couple, originally from Houston, TX, are currently on the road full time. This May, after 17 years on a ranch, the couple decided it was time to sell everything and explore.
Proud owners of: a Sportsmobile Classic that started out a Ford E-350 Cutaway with drivetrain and E-350 long body van built by Sportsmobile California and finished out by Sportsmobile in Austin, TX.
Featured upgrades: David and Rebecca’s rig is decked out with the following...
- Series 55 rail, Universal Holder for Phones for both driver, navigator, and plate holder for Garmin Mini;
- Advance Adapter Atlas II All Gear Driven Transfer Case;
- Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 Front Axle;
- Dana 60 Rear Axle;
- Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks;
- High Knuckle Front End for Extra Tie Rod Clearance;
- Extra Heavy Duty Steering Arm;
- True horizontal drag link Spicer 1350 one-ton rated driveline components;
- ARB air locking differentials;
- Partial military wrap springs designed specifically for a Sportsmobile Conversion;
- Reverse Shackle leaf spring design;
- Front sway bar with quick disconnect system and custom shocks;
- Front End Upgrades including new casting, larger knuckles and hubs;
- F550 rotors and beefed-up the calipers;
- Line-X exterior;
- Rigid 54” LED light bar;
- ARB built-in onboard compressor with tank;
- Aluminess bumpers, storage box, nerf bars, ladder and cab rack;
- Warn VR EVO 12000 winch;
- Factor 55 recovery gear;
- Thule roof rack;
- Twin roof mount 110 watt solar panels;
- Fiamma F45S Awning;
- 3000 watt hybrid inverter;
- Viper keyless car alarm security system;
- Escort IX CI radar detector;
- Kenwood DNX996XR head unit:
- Blue Ridge Overland Gear Molle Seat Back Panel, Tool Bag, and Pouch Mounting Panels.
Customers of 67 Designs since: July 2020.
Inspiration for buying the van: David and Rebecca have always been an adventurous couple. Buying a van and shedding all their excess stuff was a great way to see the North American beauty and spend more time with their family.
First adventure with vehicle: Their first spin with the van was along the Butler Motorcycle’s Mid-Atlantic Backroads Discovery Route. It has a lot of two track dirt roads covering 1,200 miles from Virginia up to New York (where their son’s family lives).
Most recent adventure: December 2020. They did some snow, ice and mud treading from New York to Texas on the way to their two daughters for a Texas Christmas and New Year. They were able to do lots of snow camping and visited some friends along the way, dodging the “slab” wherever they could.
Most memorable adventure: October 2020. Rim Road Drive. David and Rebecca went Lincoln National Forest and went south and east out of Cloudcroft, New Mexico towards the Guadalupe Ranger District. There lies Rim Road Drive, which is in New Mexico, and was spectacular for the couple. They highly recommend it for anyone willing to “air down” for an all-day scenic desert drive.
Upcoming trips: In January, they are heading out to Big Bend State Park to do glorious desert camping in West Texas, where the park’s unofficial motto is “bring two spares.”
Dream trip: Driving the Alcan to take the Dempster Highway to Inuvik.
Advice for those who are just beginning overlanding/van life: “Beware of gear bloat, be flexible, take time and enjoy the simple things”.
#1 place he has camped: When David and Rebecca backpacked in one of the many backcountry campsites in the Chihuahuan Desert. It is the “most peaceful place you’ll ever go.”
Fun fact about David: David is a retired geologist—that rocks! He also loves bird photography, spoiling his grandchildren and hunting feral hogs.
Fun fact about Rebecca: She loves sharing nature with her grandchildren, walking in the woods and bird watching.
Van club memberships: None, they like to keep a relatively low profile.
Notes from the writer: David and Rebecca are making the most of their retirement. When they are not spending time with their children and grandchildren, they are on the road. They are extremely passionate about traveling and are hoping to get in many more adventures over the next few years.
Check out their work here: If you have any questions or want to get in contact with David or Rebecca, check out David’s Facebook below:
© 67 Designs, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Spotlight by Kate Della Pietra.