On this “episode” of 67 Designs Customer Spotlights, where we share the stories of some of our customers, we get to know Frank Gonnello, Jr. Originally from Point Pleasant, NJ, Frank is an attorney for Cruise, a self-driving automotive tech company in San Francisco, CA. When not plugged in at work, he can be found intentionally unplugging, reflecting, and resetting. For Frank, being off the grid in nature is essential to maintaining perspective and balance.
Proud owner of: Cactus Grey 2021 Ford Bronco First Edition with 2.7L Ecoboost V6 engine and Sasquatch off-road package.
Featured upgrades: Frank’s Bronco is outfitted out with the following gear...
- TrailRax Modular Roof Rack (TRMRR) with PakRax
- American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform
- American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Cargo Base Platform
- American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Cargo Shelf
- American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Bronco Drawer and Slide-Out Table Module
- American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Bronco Fridge Slide
- Roam Adventure Co. Desperado Rooftop Tent
- Roam Adventure Co. 270-Degree Awning
- Roam Adventure Co. 95L Rugged Cases (x2) and Rugged Mounts
- Heretic Studio 40" White LED Light bar
- Heretic Studio 20" Amber LED Light bar
- Heretic Studio 2x Quattro White LED Combo Ditch Lights
- Heretic Studio Fog Kit (2x Quattro Amber LED Combo, 4x BA-2 White LED)
- Heretic Studio 2x BA-2 Amber Chase Lights
- Avery Dennison Supreme Defense Matte PPF
- Custom Vinyl Graphics by SS Customs
- Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (35")
- Fifteen52 Traverse HD Wheel (17" Asphalt Black)
- Hammer Built Tailgate Reinforcement Plate
- DMOS Collective Delta Pro Shovel/Mount
- RotoPax Water (2-Gallon) and Fuel (4-Gallon) Cans
- Black Onyx Leather Interior
- Bilstein H.O.S.S. Suspension
- 67Designs BroncoRail Accessory Rail
- MaxTrax Extreme Recovery Boards
- Yakima Roadshower (4-Gallon)
- Bad Bronco Skeleton Badge
Customer of 67 Designs since: November 2021.
Inspiration for buying his Bronco: Frank’s first vehicle was a 1993 Ford Bronco named Clarence. He’s reverently committed each detail of that first Bronco to memory and can still proudly tell you all about it. Although time, location and the general progression of his life would eventually lead to selling that first vehicle, Clarence left a lasting impression.
Early adventures: Upon relocating to California in 2016 Frank reconnected with his cousin, accompanying him and other friends on camping trips and overland excursions. While he didn’t have his own adventure vehicle then, Frank was learning a lot about the type of setup he wanted, the gear he should consider, and many other components of the adventure lifestyle.
Recent adventures: In February of this year, he was invited to take part in a trip to Baja, Mexico with two of the companies that he partners with.
Most memorable adventure: Traveling was instilled in Frank at an early age. His family would take domestic trips as a sort of Thanksgiving tradition. He also got to experience overseas travel through various programs in high school. His best travel experience was a trip to Italy where he rented a scooter and drove the awe-inspiring mountain ranges.
Upcoming trips: This summer Frank is planning to visit several popular cities in the western half of the US (including: Austin, TX; Denver, CO; Moab, UT; Bend, OR and Seattle, WA, to name just a few), and is still working on a list of interesting locations, landmarks and campsites to visit in between each main stop.
Dream trip: Taking the Bronco all the way up through Canada and into Alaska (possibly next year) would be an epic adventure. But if costs weren't a factor, his first choice would be to ship the Bronco to Iceland and experience that amazing landscape with his own vehicle, and of course his dog.
Fun fact about Frank: Inspired by his grandfather, Frank has come to enjoy photography as a means of capturing the essence of his experiences and sharing them with others. He’s also a commercial drone pilot.
Offroading community involvement: Frank enjoys the strong network of relationships he’s developed in the overlanding and outdoor adventure community. He’s partnered with several companies in the industry, even displaying his Bronco and the gear it’s outfitted with at events such as SEMA and Overland Expos. “There are so many good people in the industry.” Frank wants to give back to those who’ve invested in him. He also wants to share his adventures with others, so that they can feel what he feels. “Every person I meet leads to another trip, adventure or just a new perspective.”
Notes from the writer: A self-proclaimed “explorer at heart”, driving allows Frank to cover more ground and get to places he might not otherwise be able to go, resulting in a greater connection to those places. Never one to try to categorize his style or get distracted with the minutiae of the journey, he instead focuses on the enjoyment of seeing new, diverse, and magnificent places. If that means traversing rough terrain or setting up camp in the middle of nowhere so he can catch a breathtaking sunrise, so be it.
Check out his work here: Check out Frank’s Instagram account below for all of his adventures to date!
This Customer Spotlight by Tricia Soderstrom.
This series was envisioned and created by Kate Della Pietra in the summer of 2020 when she worked for 67 Designs as a marketing intern.