Read the full instructions before starting. Follow these steps to install your Series 55 Rail Rear Passenger Pack. Allow 10-15 minutes.
As the name suggests, the Series 55 Rail base can be installed in any number of places in vehicles of all kinds and even in office and studio settings. Therefore, the instructions provided below are generic vs application specific.
The location you see below is part of the trim section from a 2020 Jeep® Gladiator The track is a Series 55 length 50mm suitable for 1 or 2 Series 55 trackballs.
There are two basic types of installation and which you choose depends on your mounting environment. They are:
- Using the supplied hardware if you can access the underside of the mounting surface.
- Using the included Rivnuts when you do not have have access below the mounting surface.
Step 1 - Place Painter's Blue Tape in the Desired Area.
- STOP!!!! It is crucial YOU know exactly what is behind or below the surface and that you use a drill-stop on the drill bit to prevent damaging any equipment or wiring below the surface. It is your responsibility to fully research what is below any mounting surface.
- Take your time to find your best place in the vehicle.
- Tape the area you have decided with blue painters tape.
Step 2 - Offer up the rail and bases to check.
Step 3 - Use a Sharpie to mark the tape with hole locations.
- Be steady!
- If you prefer, use the template that is available through the product listing page for the Series 55 Rail System.
Step 4 - Drill the pilot hole
- STOP AGAIN!!!! It is crucial YOU know exactly what is behind or below the surface and that you use a drill-stop on the drill bit to prevent damaging any equipment or wiring below the surface. It is your responsibility to fully research what is below any mounting surface.
- Consider making all holes using a small drill bit collar. Even if you do not have a drill-stop/collar, as a last resort consider using the tape on the drill bit. (Shown above.)
- Spin the small drill bit through the interior trim as shown above.
- It is suggested that you drill small diameter pilot holes. Only you will know the properties of your specific mounting surface and can make the final determination. Be cautious and deliberate in this process and observe how the plastic or other material reacts to drilling.
Step 5 - Drill the 7.5mm hole for the rivnut hole
- When ready, begin to carefully use a 7.5mm drill bit to drill holes through the mounting surface.
- Always try to use a drill-stop/collar when drilling. Set for the drill bit to allow the drill to only penetrate the surface you are drilling.
- Use EXTREME CAUTION for any electronics or other items that could be below the surface!
Step 6 - Install the Nutsert/Rivnut onto the tool (not included).
- We strongly recommend the use of a hand-held Nutsert/Rivnut tool to secure the included Nutserts/Rivnuts. These inexpensive hand tools can be found online. Look for tools like this one with handles that are parallel to the surface you are mounting to.
- Install the included 5mm threaded aluminum rivnut on the tool thread.
Step 7 -Insert the the Nutsert/Rivnut into the trim as shown.
- The Nutsert/Rivnut will almost certainly require you to gently push into the 7.5mm hole. It should be tight and NOT be able to spin.
Step 8 - Compress the Nutsert/Rivnut
- Gently squeeze the two handles of the tool to compress the back of the Nutsert/Rivnut to the mounting surface.
- Repeat this process with the second rivnut and hole.
If you are at all unsure how the rivnut works or about this suggested technique, you should watch this YouTube video: DIY Rivnut Rivet Nut Nutsert Tool - Install Without Tool - Easy Install Guide
Step 9 - Slide on the plastic mount feet and locate next to the installed Nutserts/Rivnuts.
- Use the included 3mm l-wrench to tighten the 5mm flat head fastener.
- Repeat for the second fastener at the other end of the base.
- We suggest using Loctite Blue on the thread of the fastener if you can.
Step 10 - Install the 20mm BT55 Trackball
- Slide the BT55 20mm trackball into the Series 55 rail that came in the Mounting Pack.
- Tighten and lock the BT55 in place using the larger l-wrench found in the Mounting Pack.
- Once installed, the user can then attach the nano arm to the Series 55 trackball and then attach the Universal for Phones.
- (You can install one more trackball for a second arm/holder (sold separately)).
The Finished Installation
The Alternative to Nutsert/Rivnuts
Looking for an iPad option instead of the Universal for Phones?
If you like this setup, but really want to have an iPad holder instead of the Universal for Phones, that's easy. All you have to do is collect the following items in your Cart.
- 1 x Series 55 Rail - 50mm with Mounting Pack
- 1 x Matte Finish Nano Arm
- 1 x iPad Tablet Holder for your specific iPad from this page.
Please help us improve:
We want to always improve our products and make the installation and user experience better. Therefore, please email customer service and let us know what can be improved with these installation instructions. Thank you.
Please remember to DRIVE RESPONSIBLY. NO TEXTING & EMAIL when vehicle is in motion! Use SIRI®