Read the full instructions before starting. Follow these steps to install your Series 55 Rail with the Mounting Pack. Allow 10-15 minutes.
As the name suggests, the Series 55 Rail base can be installed in any number of places in vehicles of all kinds and even in office and studio settings. Therefore, the instructions provided below are generic vs application specific.
The location you see below is part of the removable roof section from a 2016 Jeep® JK that was taken to the bench and turned over. The track is a Series 55 length 50mm suitable for 1 or 2 Series 55 trackballs. We are showing the installation onto a surface when there is no opportunity to access below the surface and when the included Nutsert/Rivnut is used.
There are two basic types of installation and which you choose depends on your mounting environment. They are:
- Using the supplied hardware if you can access the underside of the mounting surface.
- Using the included Rivnuts when you do not have have access below the mounting surface.
Step 1 - Print, place and tape the template on the mounting surface.
- Click here for the template used in this installation. Look under the section "Check if it fits your vehicle".
- Tape the template to your mounting surface using blue painters tape.
- If your mounting surface has any raised sections, check that your selected area will not be obstructed by the base after it sits on the included spacers.
Step 2 - It is recommended to drill pilot holes.
- STOP!!!! It is crucial YOU know exactly what is behind or below the surface and that you use a drill-stop on the drill bit to prevent damaging any equipment or wiring below the surface. It is your responsibility to fully research what is below any mounting surface.
- Consider making all holes using a small drill bit collar. Even if you do not have a drill-stop/collar, as a last resort consider using the tape on the drill bit.
- Spin the small drill bit through the paper template as shown above.
- It is suggested that you drill small diameter pilot holes. Only you will know the properties of your specific mounting surface and can make the final determination. Be cautious and deliberate in this process and observe how the plastic or other material reacts to drilling.
Step 3 - Drill holes for the included 5mm Nutsert/Rivnut fastener.
- When ready, begin to carefully use a 7.5mm drill bit to drill holes through the mounting surface.
- Always use a drill-stop/collar when drilling. Set for the drill bit to allow the drill to only penetrate the surface you are drilling.
- Use EXTREME CAUTION for any electronics or other items that could be below the surface!
Step 4 - If you do not have a Nutsert/Rivnut tool, install a fastener to the base of the Nutsert/Rivnut.
- We strongly recommend the use of a hand-held Nutsert/Rivnut tool to secure the included Nutserts/Rivnuts. These inexpensive hand tools can be found online. Look for tools like this one with handles that are parallel to the surface you are mounting to.
- If you are not using a rivnut tool and you have space for simple wrenches, you will need to purchase a 5mm x 30mm bolt, a 5mm nut and a washer from a local hardware store.
- A socket head is shown, but any 5mm bolt head will suffice.
- Screw in the bolt until it is level with the base of the Nutsert/Rivnut as shown above.
Step 5 -Gently tap in the Nutsert/Rivnut as shown.
- The Nutsert/Rivnut will almost certainly require you to gently tap into place.
- Use a hammer to gently tap in the Nutsert/Rivnut making sure not to bend or deform the aluminum.
- Repeat for the second fastener.
Step 6 - Compress the Nutsert/Rivnut
- Using an 8mm wide wrench on the nut and another tool to stop the bolt turning, gently, but firmly turn the nut clockwise to compress the back of the Nutsert/Rivnut to the mounting surface.
If you are at all unsure how the rivnut works or about this suggested technique, you should watch this YouTube video: DIY Rivnut Rivet Nut Nutsert Tool - Install Without Tool - Easy Install Guide
Step 7 - Slide on the plastic mount feet and locate over the installed Nutserts/Rivnuts.
- Use the included 3mm l-wrench to tighten the 5mm flat head fastener.
- Repeat for the second fastener at the other end of the base.
- We suggest using Loctite Blue on the thread of the fastener if you can.
Step 8 - Install the 20mm BT55 Trackball
- Slide the BT55 20mm trackball into the Series 55 rail that came in the Mounting Pack.
- Tighten and lock the BT55 in place using the larger l-wrench found in the Mounting Pack.
- Once installed, the user can then attach an arm (sold separately) to each Series 55 trackball.
- You can install more trackballs as needed (sold separately).
The Finished Installation
An Alternative to Nutsert/Rivnuts
Please help us improve:
We want to always improve our products and make the installation and user experience better. Therefore, please email customer service and let us know what can be improved with these installation instructions. Thank you.
Please remember to DRIVE RESPONSIBLY. NO TEXTING & EMAIL when vehicle is in motion! Use SIRI®